GAMES AND SPORTS
"It is not an exaggeration to say that play is as basic to a child’s total development as good food, cleanliness, and rest."
- Joanne E. Oppenheim
Games and sports play a pivotal role in one’s life. NIMS International School has taken special care to plan its building and layout in such a way that considerable amount of land is set apart for play which include outdoor sports, indoor sports and activities. The school has five fields and a 400 meter track with courts for Tennis, Basket Ball, Volleyball, Boxing and nets for Cricket and Squash. The Cricket grounds of NIS are of International standard. Swimming is a part of the school curriculum. The school’s 25 m. x 12.5 m. swimming pool is approved by the International Swimming Organization for schools.
Besides, plans are afoot to build a Gymnasium with an Indoor Badminton court or two. The school also has provisions for Aerobics, Judo and Boxing with the latest equipment for workouts.
The main objectives are:
- To create awareness of the necessity for organic vigour and efficiency through physical fitness.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of the requirements of healthy living, nutrition, exercise and relaxation.
- To create awareness of the necessity to develop a good posture and physical poise.
- To develop knowledge and understanding of skills that will be useful as leisure time activities and those of recreational nature.
- To create opportunities to develop esprit de corps, courtesy, sportsmanship, social skills, democratic conduct and ideals.
- To develop appreciation of the aesthetic and cultural aspects of movement
All in all the school has an integrated programme. Each grade of 32 students are split into units of 4 or 5 children who get specialized coaching for 40 minutes in one game or the other.
All sports activities are conducted under the supervision of qualified coaches of National and International repute. The school children regularly participate in national and international events and are winning laurels for the school.
The ‘Aims’ of the NCC laid out in 1988 have stood the test of time and continue to meet the requirements expected of it in the current socio–economic scenario of the country. The NCC aims at developing character, comradeship, discipline, and a secular outlook, the spirit of adventure and ideals of selfless service amongst young citizens. Further, it aims at creating a pool of organized, trained and motivated youth with leadership qualities in all walks of life, who will serve the Nation regardless of which career they choose. Needless to say, the NCC also provides an environment conducive to motivating young Indians to join the armed forces. Our school has recently announced the NCC NAVAL WING with 50 seats.